Fire Safety: What to include in safe work procedures
Housing providers spend a lot of time ensuring the fire safety of tenants and the buildings themselves. Good fire safety is also a part of protecting employees from risk as well. In order for staff to participate effectively in fire prevention, they need to have up-to-date policies and safe operating procedures to follow. They also need regular training and supervision.
Here are some tips for what to include in your safe work procedures to manage flammable and hazardous materials.
Consider including these practices:
- Combustible materials such as oil-soaked rags and waste must be stored in in approved metal containers
- Flammable liquids such as gasoline, benzene, naphtha, paint thinner, etc. must not be used for cleaning purposes
- All solvents must be stored in Underwriters Laboratory/Canadian Standards Association-approved and properly labelled containers
- Gasoline, benzene, naphtha, paint thinner and other solvents of this class must only be handled and dispenses from approved, properly labelled containers
- In any building, except ones provided for their storage, flammable liquids such as gasoline, benzene, naphtha, paint thinner, etc. shall be limited to 19 L (5 gallons), in Underwriters Laboratory /Canadian Standards Association approved, properly labelled containers
- All grounding requirements must be observed when pouring or pumping gasoline or other flammable liquids from one container to another
- “No Smoking” and “Stop Your Motor” signs at fuel-dispensing locations must be posted and adhered to
Good fire safety can be supported through safe operating procedures where risk of fire exists and helps provide direction to staff, supports a safe environment and minimized exposure to risk.
ONPHA’s recently released Health and Safety Guide includes fire safety procedures that can be easily put into place in your organization. The Guide includes 25 unique safe work procedures on a range of topics, from electrical safety, to office safety, working at heights, asbestos, vehicle use and more, plus a comprehensive template health and safety manual to save your organization time and guesswork.
Visit our website to get your free preview and to order the full guide.