Stronger Together: Formation of the Canadian Alliance of Non-Profit Housing Associations
A group of provincial non-profit housing associations including the Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association (ONPHA) have come together to create a new Alliance, to be known as the Canadian Alliance of Non-Profit Housing Associations (CANPHA). The creation of CANPHA will build on efforts already underway to better represent the interests of the non-profit housing sector in Canada, align positions and share resources amongst constituent members.
“We know that a strong, unified voice across the sector is the way forward as the business of community housing modernizes,” said Marlene Coffey, Executive Director, ONPHA.
“We are excited to continue strengthening our relationships with our partners across the country and share what’s working, what isn’t, and to plan for the future.”
As stated in its mission statement, the purpose of CANPHA will be to “provide a forum whereby issues of relevance specific to the non-profit housing sector in Canada can be identified, prioritized and addressed. As a forum, it will provide its constituent members with an opportunity to share information, discuss issues of relevance, coordinate and align messages on topics of national importance, and to undertake mutually-agreed upon projects or initiatives, particularly those that can leverage contributions and serve a collective need.”
CANPHA will meet bi-monthly in order to identify and prioritize activities. Governance and administration will rest collectively with its membership. The initial members of CANPHA include:
- the Canadian Housing and Renewal Association,
- the BC Non-Profit Housing Association,
- the Alberta Network of Public Housing Agencies,
- the Network of Non-Profit Housing Providers of Saskatchewan,
- the Manitoba Non-Profit Housing Association,
- the Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association,
- le Réseau québecois des OSBL d’habitation,
- the New Brunswick Non-Profit Housing Association, and
- the Affordable Housing Association Nova Scotia.
Watch for more information from the new CANPHA.